TileServer: WMTS from map tiles and MBTiles
Published on Aug 28, 2013
Do you want to host your maps online according the OGC WMTS standard? Did you know you can do that from an ordinary PHP web hosting?
Your maps could be used on the web and in mobile devices, but also opened in ArcGIS for Desktop from ESRI or in the open-source QGIS and other desktop GIS clients and systems. There is no need to install any special server software such as MapServer or GeoServer to achieve this.
The presentation contains a step-by-step guide how to convert GeoTIFF or other raster geodata files into tiles and WMTS online endpoint. Any ordinary webserver is supported - no need to install additional server software - so the publishing process is extremely easy and the maps are very fast.
There are also step-by-step guides for desktop GIS software which is supported:
- QuantumGIS Desktop 1.9+ - open with Layer->Add WMS layer - http://www.qgis.org/
- ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10.1+ - native WMTS implementation supported http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-desktop
- ArcBruTiles plugin for ArcGIS 9.3+ - via TMS endpoint http://arcbrutile.codeplex.com/
- GAIA - native WMTS (issues with 3857 to be fixed) http://www.thecarbonproject.com/gaia.php
The maps are of course usable with:
- Web mapping via Google Maps API, Leaflet, OpenLayers, MapBox.js via TileJSON
- iOS mobile devices (iPhone/iPad) via MapKit or RouteMe
- Android tablets and mobile phones via OSMDroid and Google Maps Android API
Check the presentation and feel free to download and try the open-source TileServer-PHP project.
To convert your geodata into tiles you can use our http://www.maptiler.com/.
The TileServer PHP project website: https://github.com/klokantech/tileserver-php/ Video recording of the presentation:
Slides for presentation:http://www.slideshare.net/klokan/dresden-icc2013tileserver